Monday 10 August 2015

The Bletchley Collection

Following on from last weeks Yarn of the Month, featuring Eden Cottage Yarns Milburn 4 ply here is The Bletchley Collection by Joanne Scrace.  All of the designs are made using Milburn 4 ply and were inspired by Bletchley Park and the code breaking work which was undertaken there.

The collection includes both knitting and crochet garments plus accessories. The book comes with a complimentary pdf download code to use on Ravelry.   

Here are my three favourite designs from the book.
As you will know if you follow BritYarn on Twitter and Instagram I recently finished my Colossus, the front cover design of the book. The design is inspired by the cables and valves in the code breaking computer, Colossus. 
Despite my cable work not being the fastest I decided that this was the design wanted to make first from the collection.  It took me a while to finish it but I love how it has turned out.  It is really straightforward as the majority of the vest is knit in the round and the cable pattern has a nice rhythm to it.
Close up of the cable detail
I have worn this with a vest underneath but the yarn is so soft and smooth that it could easily be worn against the skin.  With the ribbing traveling up the sides there is a bit of stretch allowing for a long sleeved shirt to be worn when it gets cooler.


If I had not cast on Colossus first then it would have been the Hut 8 cardigan.  I really like the simple shaping and design of this cardigan, great for every day wear.  As it is knit in a 4 ply yarn it does not have the bulk of some of the other cardigans I own but would still keep me warm.

I especially love Ellipsissy's (AKA Emily) version made in the rich blue shade of Night Sky and finished with bright orange buttons.  I think I might have to copy this version!  


Ellipsissy's Hut 8.
Image used with kind permission from Ellipsissy.  
My final choice would be Tunny a crochet hat.  Now a slight problem for me with this design, my crochet skills are basic but one day I hope to make it.  
Tunny in Rust, Harvest Gold and Night Sky

I would make mine in either Night Sky Harvest Gold and Steel.

The Bletchley Collection book is available to purchase at BritYarn along with Eden Cottage Yarns Milburn 4ply.  

No comments:

Post a Comment